Your information is safe
The Australian Government is serious about your safety and privacy online. When using government online services, your personal information won’t be shared without your permission - putting you in control.
myGovID uses encryption and cryptographic technology as well as the security features in your device, such as fingerprint, face or password. This is to protect your identity and help stop other people accessing your information.
myGovID is accredited under the:
- Australian Trusted Digital Identity Framework (developed in alignment with the United States National Institute of Standards and Technology SP800-63B) which strictly controls how your identity data is collected, stored and used
- Gatekeeper Public Key Infrastructure Framework which governs how the Australian Government uses digital keys and certificates to assure the identity of subscribers to authentication services.
Staying safe online
Your personal information forms part of your identity. Here are some tips to stay safe online and protect your personal information:
- Be cautious when clicking on hyperlinks embedded in SMS and emails. Do not click on links or attachments in emails from unknown sources.
- Keep your personal information and passwords secure - don't share your password with others and change your passwords regularly.
- Be aware of sharing your information, you should treat requests for personal information with caution. Never reply to emails with your password or other sensitive information – including to prospective employers.
- Install anti-virus software on all devices and set the software to automatically check for updates on a daily basis.
- Make data security an everyday priority, practice good cyber hygiene and constantly review your security habits.
- Store personal information in a secure place. Make sure electronic documents containing personal information are secure and avoid carrying your birth certificate or passport in a wallet or handbag unless you need them.
For more information visit cyber.gov.au