myGovID Privacy Notice
Version - May 2019
At a glance, what you should know about how we collect, use, store and share your personal information includes but is not limited to:
- when you are creating your digital identity and provide personal information from your identity documents, we will verify and validate this information with the identity document issuer with your consent
- with your consent, we will share your collected and stored personal information with Relying Parties when you attempt to use their services
- where you choose to verify your identity strength to Strong, we will immediately destroy the biometric image used during the verification process
- we do not share your information with Overseas recipients
- we will not use your personal information for any direct marketing purposes.
Is the measurement and statistical analysis of people’s unique physical and behavioural characteristics.
- Refers to the use of a Face Matching Service, to electronically compare your personal information and an image of your face against a specific government record to verify your identity
- For example: Choosing your Australian Passport or travel document to build your digital identity in the myGovID app means the facial image and personal information you provide will be electronically compared with your Australian Passport photo and records held by the Department of Foreign Affairs and Trade.
- The Face Matching Service can measure the biometric information related to your facial image, meaning the measurements or calculations related to your physical appearance.
Is information that identifies you, including your name, date of birth, address, email address, details from Australian Government issued identity document such as, but not limited to, the type of document, document issuer, document numbers, effective dates, photographic images etc. and biometrics.
Collection, storage and disclosure
To create your digital identity, we will collect and verify your personal information when you choose to:
- register for myGovID
- increase the identity proofing level associated with your myGovID account
- update your personal information.
Your personal information is used to:
- verify your identity and validate your details with the government authorities that have issued your identity documents, for example:
- passport or travel documents records – Department of Foreign Affairs and Trade
- driver licence – the state or territory roads and traffic authority that issued your licence
- medicare card – Department of Human Services
- create and manage your myGovID account
- investigate and verify the operation of the myGovID system.
Biometric images and photographs used to verify your identity are immediately destroyed and not stored by the ATO.
When we have completed validating your identity documents, we will store the following information:
- the document type used
- the information that was verified
- a record of your consent
- the result of the document check.
With your consent, we will collect and share with third parties, the following personal information from your identity documents, where necessary, to verify validity and to authenticate your identity:
- driver licence – State of issue, Licence number and your middle name/s
- passport or travel documents – Travel document number, gender and facial image where applicable
- medicare card – Colour of your card, Card number, Individual reference number (IRN) and Valid to date.
By agreeing to this Privacy Notice, you are consenting to myGovID sharing the following personal information we have collected during the registration process with the service you are attempting to access:
- your full name
- previous name (if required)
- date of birth
- email address (optional).
If you choose not to provide or share your personal information, you will not be able to create a myGovID account. If you choose not to, or are unable to, verify and authenticate your identity by creating a myGovID account, alternative options will be available from the agency and/or service you are attempting to access.
Use of your information
We will only disclose your personal information where you have provided your consent or we are authorised or required to do so by law. We will not use or disclose personal information for the purpose of direct marketing. Your personal information will be stored securely in Australia. We will not share your personal information with overseas recipients.
We may use your information to:
- confirm, verify or authenticate your identity
- compile statistics and reports to enhance our systems and services
- identify and respond to issues that may indicate authentication integrity is at risk
- detect, investigate, and prosecute criminal offences.
Information about your computer, your browser and information you provide will be recorded for authentication purposes as part of the myGovID authentication process such as:
- your Internet Protocol (IP) address
- the date and time of the use of the authentication service
- the authentication information you provided
- successful and unsuccessful attempts at authenticating.