Your information is safe
The Australian Government is serious about your safety and privacy. When using government online services, your personal information won’t be shared without your permission – putting you in control.
myGovID uses encryption and cryptographic technology as well as the security features in your device, such as fingerprint, face or password. This is to protect your identity and help stop other people accessing your information.
myGovID is accredited under the:
- Australian Trusted Digital Identity Framework (developed in alignment with the United States National Institute of Standards and Technology SP800-63B) which strictly controls how your identity data is collected, stored and used
- Gatekeeper Public Key Infrastructure Framework which governs how the Australian Government uses digital keys and certificates to assure the identity of subscribers to authentication services.
Protecting your myGovID
Your myGovID belongs to you – don’t share it with others. Sharing your myGovID could enable others to access your personal data across services such as tax and health. To ensure the security of your identity and personal information, it is your responsibility to protect your myGovID.
To help protect your identity from being used fraudulently, it’s important that you keep your contact details up to date in the app. You can also protect your myGovID app by using the security features in your device, such as fingerprint and face, to log in.
For your security, your myGovID will expire on a specific device if it is not used for an extended period. If your myGovID expires, this removes your access on a specific device, but it does not delete your myGovID profile. You can re-verify your identity at any time to continue using your myGovID. To keep your myGovID active and continue accessing online services, log in to your myGovID regularly.
If you suspect someone has inappropriately accessed your personal information in myGovID, you need to report this immediately by phoning our support line.
Staying safe online
Your personal information forms part of your identity. Here are some tips to stay safe online and protect your personal information:
- Don’t share your myGovID with others, even family members or co-workers.
- When logging in with myGovID ensure that the URL displayed in your browser includes https://www.myGovID.gov.au or https://myGovID.gov.au.
- Be cautious when clicking on hyperlinks embedded in SMS and emails. Do not click on links or attachments in emails from unknown sources.
- Keep your personal information and passwords secure - don't share your password with others and change your passwords regularly.
- Be aware of sharing your information, you should treat requests for personal information with caution. Never reply to emails with your password or other sensitive information – including to prospective employers.
- Install anti-virus software on all devices and set the software to automatically check for updates on a daily basis.
- Make data security an everyday priority, practice good cyber hygiene and constantly review your security habits.
- Store personal information in a secure place. Make sure electronic documents containing personal information are secure and avoid carrying your birth certificate or passport in a wallet or handbag unless you need them.
For more information visit cyber.gov.au