Connect your myGovID to your myGov account for a simple and secure sign in.
This new way of accessing myGov is being trialled as part of transforming the way Australians interact with government.
Did you know that myGovID and myGov are different?
Your myGovID is your digital identity and unique to you. The myGovID app lets you prove who you are and securely sign in to participating government online services, including myGov.
Your myGov account lets you link to government services online in one place. You can access online services like Medicare for your COVID-19 vaccine certificate through your myGov account. Signing in to your myGov account is simple and secure when you connect your myGovID.
Connecting your myGovID to your myGov account is optional. You can choose to disconnect at any time or continue using your existing myGov sign in option.
On this page:
- Benefits of connecting myGovID to myGov
- Before you connect myGovID to myGov
- How to connect myGovID to myGov
Benefits of connecting myGovID to myGov
Connecting your myGovID to your myGov account makes signing in:
- simple – set up once and use it to unlock government online services
- flexible – you can still use your current myGov sign in option or myGovID, helping you avoid losing access to your account when using other sign in options
- secure – your personal information is encrypted and verified against existing government records, making it the most secure way to sign in to myGov
- streamlined – you can access multiple government online services, for both personal and business matters.
Before you connect myGovID to myGov
Before you connect your myGovID to your myGov account make sure:
- you’ve downloaded the myGovID app
- set up your myGovID to a Standard or Strong identity strength.
How to connect myGovID to myGov
Go to my.gov.au and follow these steps to connect your myGovID:
- select Continue with Digital Identity
- select myGovID as your identity provider
- select Continue with myGovID
- sign in using your myGovID
- consent to sharing your information with myGov
- select Continue and sign in to your myGov account to connect your myGovID
- a message will display confirming your myGovID is connected to your myGov account.
Alternatively, you can connect your myGovID to your myGov account after you've signed in to myGov. Go to Account Settings, select Digital Identity and follow the prompts.
Next time you sign in to your myGov account, select Continue with Digital Identity to use your myGovID.
You cannot access your myGov account, Medicare or your COVID-19 vaccine certificate within the myGovID app.