Verify a change in name – change of name certificate
When setting up your myGovID, your name needs to match across your Australian identity documents.
If your name doesn’t match because you’ve changed your name, you may be able to verify this using a change of name certificate.
A change of name certificate can only be used if it was issued in Tasmania, South Australia, the Northern Territory or the Australian Capital Territory. If your change of name certificate was issued in a different state, or your date of birth is not displayed in full on your certificate, it cannot be used to verify your change of name online. You’ll need to:
- check if you have alternative identity documents that match. If so, you can use these to set up your myGovID.
- update your documents to match. If you need to update your name on an identity document, don’t verify the document in your myGovID app. Instead, you should contact the document provider to see if they can resolve the mismatch.
When using a change of name certificate to verify your change in name, you’ll need to enter the following details in your myGovID app:
- Current given name or names
- Current family name
- Previous given name or names (enter ‘no registered given names’ if that’s how it appears on your document)
- Previous family name (enter ‘no registered surname’ if that’s how it appears on your document)
- Date of birth
- Registration number (do not include any letters)
See the examples of change of name certificates below.
In most cases, you’ll be able to verify your change of name online if your certificate was issued from 1 January (see relevant year below). Further exceptions may apply to you depending on the state or territory you were born. Use the links below to for more information.
The following examples show change of name certificates for:
Information by state or territory
How you verify your change of name certificate may depend on the state or territory your certificate was issued.
If you only have a single name (either your given or family) listed on your certificate you only need to fill out the field for that name.
Registration numbers on NT change of name certificates can be made up of numbers and letters.
You should only enter the numbers after the last letter or punctuation element in the Registration number field, for example you would:
- enter 45, for registration number NT 123/45
- enter 40, for registration number 136 book 40.
If you only have a single name listed (either your given or family) on your certificate you only need to fill out the field for that name.
Your certificate cannot be verified online if it was issued by the SA District of:
- Daly Encounter Bay
- Mount Barker
- Port Adelaide
If your certificate was issued by one of these districts you can apply for a new change of name certificate through the SA Registry of Births, deaths and marriages.
If you only have a single name (either your given or family name) on your certificate it cannot be verified online.