You can use the details of your Australian driver’s licence (or learner’s permit) when setting up your myGovID.
On this page
Fields required in the myGovID app
You’ll need to provide the following information in your myGovID app:
- state or territory that issued it
- licence number
- card number
- first name
- middle name (or initial)
- family name
- date of birth.
Enter your name as it appears on your licence up to the character limits (even if it only shows part of your name):
- first name – up to 20 characters
- middle name – up to 20 characters. Enter it in full in the first instance, if this doesn’t work and it
- is not on your licence – leave the field blank
- appears as an initial – enter only the initial
- appears as 2 initials – enter the full name of the first initial only
- family name – up to 40 characters.
If you only have a single name on your licence, enter it in the Family name field.
Examples of Australian driver’s licences
These examples show common locations for the required details on your Australia driver’s licence:
- Australian Capital Territory (ACT)
- New South Wales (NSW)
- Northern Territory (NT)
- Queensland (QLD)
- South Australia (SA)
- Tasmania (TAS)
- Victoria (VIC)
- Western Australia (WA)
Your licence cannot be verified online if:
- it’s been cancelled, refused or is no longer active (this is when it’s held in another state or territory or has expired in ACT, TAS or SA)
- you’re using a WA extraordinary licence issued by a magistrate to allow limited use of your vehicle.
If you had a change of name (resulting from marriage) in NSW before 2006, you will need to contact your document provider to update your details.
Australian Capital Territory (ACT)
New South Wales (NSW)
Northern Territory (NT)
South Australia (SA)
Note: the position of your card number depends on when your license was issued. If your licence does not include a card number, enter at least one character. For example, X.